Thursday, July 31, 2014

Day 1: I Don't Like Jaw Surgery

Here are pictures from today! I woke up to my mom and surgeon in the room. My surgeon just kept saying how pleased he was with the results. So that's good I guess!
For breakfast, I had some grape juice, orange juice, and I attempted some blended up pancake, but that didn't go too well.
Numbness: I'd say about 75% of my face has numbness in some sort of way. Pretty much all I can feel is my forehead, my temples parts of my cheeks, and half of my lower lip. 
Pain: under control
Discomfort: HOLY CRAP MAKE THE SWELLING STOP. My whole face is throbbing and there's nothing I can do about it. Except ice. And I'm doing that pretty consistently.




I hate these socks.

As soon as I was discharged from the hospital, Dr. Jenkins requested I go straight to his office for some x-rays and such. He was going to teach me how to take off my rubber bands, but as soon as he touched my mouth, it started bleeding, so he decided that was a no-go.

Flowers from  the orthodontist. How sweet right?

As soon as I got home, my two little brother (aged 12 and 6) started asking each other if they were scared of my face. I just rolled my eyes at them, and retreated to bed, where I've been ever since. Everytime my 6 year old brother comes into the room, he just waves and walks away. It's pretty cute actually. I just keep telling myself, "Just get past day 4," since that's the peak of swelling, but I FEEL LIKE IT'S COMING SO SLOW. I'm tired of just grunting to communicate.
I've already had people ask to come visit me, and I've been really hesitant so far to let anyone come see me. Maybe after the swelling starts to go down.
Welp. I think that's it for now.


13 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! Just looking at your photos makes my eyes water. Hang in there. I'm working on tracking down a Bedazzler, in case you hung onto any of those abysmal hospital footies. They could certainly use a little something. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aunt Lisa, be sure to let me know if you do track down that bedazzler!

      Delete
  2. . . . And remember: Some people spend a lot of money for lips like yours. Yours were a free surgery bonus and are all natural, though temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon! The first week is the worst and then it starts to get easier. You've gotten through the hardest of it. Hope you have a speedy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terra :) It means a lot!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad the surgery went well. The hardest part will be over in like a week...

    But DON'T be hatin' on the hospital socks. You do NOT want to walk on the hospital floor without the hospital socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isabel - it sounds like you're doing really well! Your day 0 profile shot was so cool - such a difference! After the swelling starts to go down things will start to get better. That should be after day 2 or 3 (: At least it's over now after all this waiting! I think I started having visitors by day 4, but it depends on how well you are feeling and how comfortable you are with the idea. Onwards an upwards from here! Good luck with the rest of your recovery (: xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Beth, your comments really do help me SO MUCH!

      Delete
  6. Hi!!! My names Natalie, I'm 21 and I just got double jaw surgery 3 weeks ago! Most blogs I come across are years old, and I see that you're on day two. And it sounds like you aren't feeling so well. I remember that feeling all too well!!!! The first four days are the worst, but I promise you'll feel better! I didn't think I would feel better so soon, but it happened! Everyone's journey and senario is a little different, but I hope you're feeling better and you're recovery goes smooth and you get back to your normal self soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie! It's so nice to meet another person who's gone through this fairly recently! Thank you so much for your comment :) It's really helped a lot. Hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  7. Thinking of you, beautiful Isabel!! I hope things get better soon.. Those lips would fit right in down here in Orange County. Come on down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, how are you doing? Judging from your recent posts, it seems you’ve recovered quite well. Jaw surgeries could get really frustrating, particularly the healing process. You’ll be deprived of many things dealing with movement, properly communicating, and food intake. I hope you didn’t have too much of a problem with those while you were recuperating. Anyway, thank you for sharing this with us, Isabel. All the best!


    Victor Peterson

    ReplyDelete